Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Cornflour cookies


What can be more fun on a rainy day than hot tea and crumbly cookies? These cookies take exactly 10 minutes to make. My family and I love this simple recipe, it's being used for a few generations, my grandmother and mother baked them the same way. The dough is so tasty that every time I make these my children insist on tasting some of the dough before it's baked, so I make them a small ball of dough, they even have a name for it, they call it "goolgool". When I was a child my mother said I will have a stomach ache if I eat unbaked dough but I couldn't resist so I would sneak into the kitchen and take some and never had a stomach ache...

The ingredients are:
350 grams (2.5 cups) self rising flower
1 cup sugar
200 grams butter
2 eggs
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice and the zest of the lemon
1 table spoon vegetable oil
2 teaspoons cognac
1 cup cornflour
  1. Mix all ingredients together to form the dough, I use my Kitchenaid but you can also use a foodprocessor or mix by hand.
  2. Form little round balls of dough or use cookie cutters to form shapes to create your cookies.I keep it simple and just divide the dough into 4 parts and flatten it on the baking pan with my fingers, then I use a sharp knife to cut the dough into finger like shaped cookies.
  3. Put into a preheated oven, medium temperature (180 degrees celsius) until the cookies are nice and golden (approximately 20-25 minutes) be carefull not to over bake.
  4. If you use my method of flattening the dough then after the cookies are baked, use your knife again or spatula to space between them and spread them in the baking pan and return back to the turned off oven so the inside part dries out, in this case leave inside the oven to cool.
  5. Let's see you resist the fantastic smell and wait for them to fully cool, mission impossible! Enjoy!
  6. Keep in a dry tin or glass jar.




Free Blog Counter


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious!
I will give them a try this weekend and let u know if my daughters like them (I know I will ;-))

BTW, Love your blog!

Keren.